Winster School is a small, friendly village school. We have approximately 30 children, taught in two classes, organised by key stage:
- Key Stage 1: Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), Year 1 and Year 2. This used to be known as Infants.
- Key Stage 2: Years 3, 4, 5 and 6. This used to be known as Juniors.
We have a lively, bright and cheerful environment. Our excellent resources and facilities include:
- an outdoor classroom and foundation area where the reception children follow the Early Years Foundation Scheme
- a purpose built and well stocked library, which can be used as an additional classroom
- a separate classroom used for more focused learning sessions
- interactive whiteboards in each classroom
- 20 netbook computers with broadband access; access to computers, as a source of knowledge or creativity, is an integral part of our learning
- sporting facilities adjacent to the school – comprising an all-weather multi-purpose pitch, hard play area and large sports field
- indoor PE facilities based at the Burton Institute (Winster's village hall)
- weekly swimming lessons throughout the year for all children in Years 2-6 at the Arc Leisure Centre, Matlock
Beyond the curriculum
We introduce the children to a wide range of extra-curricular activities through our after school clubs. These run for an hour after school, two or three times a week. The clubs change every term to give the children the chance to try lots of different activities. These have ranged from dance to ICT, choir to football, with many more to come!
Bigger than Winster
Being a small school has many advantages, but sometimes size counts. For this reason, we have strong links with surrounding village schools and we work together to give our Winster School pupils access to bigger opportunities. For instance: jointly, three schools have entered a team in a local football league. This has the additional benefit of building strong relationships between the children in adjoining villages.